Most innovative (author's pick)
British football team Crawley Town opened their first vote on the club's acquisition strategy to NFT holders. They were recently purchased by an American consortium called Wagmi United and raised £3.5M from NFT sales over the last week, a significant figure for a League 2 club.
- The NFTs function as a virtual season ticket and include a range of benefits such as access to exclusive content and voting rights.
- For example, this week NFT holders will vote on whether the team should strengthen in attack, midfield or defence.
JUST LAUNCHED: METAVERSE 360
The NFT Innovation Digest Team are excited to announce the launch of Metaverse 360! This new course covers the technical principles, history and many applications of NFTs - sports, music, gaming, collectibles, art, utility NFTs and more, as well as the essential Metaverses you should know.
- It is aimed at both newcomers and seasoned travelers. If you’re already a Web3 professional, you can use it to brush up on NFT fundamentals and boost your employability.
- Team plans are also available for employers who want to upskill their teams! The first Web3 employers, such as NFTfi.com and CADLabs.org, have already added the course as a part of their standard team onboarding.
Polygon is selected to join Disney's Web3 Accelerator, a business development program the company runs as part of an effort to be at the forefront of next-generation storytelling.
- The 2022 Disney Accelerator class is focused on building the future of immersive experiences and highlights AR, AI and NFT-related technologies.
- The other companies selected are Flickpay, Inworld, Lockerverse, Obsess and Red 6.
The Spanish government is offering over $4M in grants for Metaverse companies, acknowledging the sector's importance and the need for more investment.
- Applicants must be based in the European Union and 25% of the organization's employees must be women to be eligible.
- The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Digital Transformation will manage the program.
Tony Hawk plans to build the biggest skate park in the Metaverse: Tony Hawk Land. In partnership with The Sandbox and NFT platform Autograph, it will be 'part virtual real estate, part amusement park'.
- The skate park will be founded on 35 parcels of land and NFTs featuring Tony Hawk avatars will be available for purchase.
- According to Hawk, “I have been a fan of new technology all of my life, from the first video games and home computers with CGI capabilities so I am fascinated by the metaverse, and excited to bring our culture into the virtual landscape of The Sandbox.”
Shanghai's city government released a policy paper outlining its strategy to develop a Metaverse economy worth $52B by the end of 2025.
- As part of the plan, Shanghai intends to attract the headquarters of at least 10 innovative, leading Metaverse companies and house 100 more Metaverse-related organisations.
- While it is not clear yet what total financial investment the city is willing to make, the development of special funds and investment subsidies is mentioned in the paper.
Serving legal documents via NFT has been officially approved in the UK by a court judge, a month after a similar precedent was set in New York. Lawsuit documents will be airdropped via NFT into the offending wallets.
- The case in question was brought by Fabrizio D’Aloia, the founder of an online gambling company, against Binance Holdings. D’Aloia claims his crypto assets were fraudulently cloned.
- Law firm Giambrone & Partners LLP praised the development for enabling victims of crypto fraud to sue anonymous criminals via their wallets.
New products and ideas
New NFT financing and lending startup Supermojo has raised $6 million in seed funding. Founded by two former Ripple executives, Amir Sarhangi and Craig DeWitt, the company aims to make NFT purchasing more widely accessible.
- Supermojo will partner with marketplaces so that buyers can opt to pay in instalments. It does not intend to charge interest or late fees, but instead will take a fee upfront and hold the NFT on the buyer's behalf until payments are completed.
- It will also allow users to take out loans against their NFTs.
NFT marketplace Magic Eden launches Magic Ventures: a venture arm that will focus on investing in Web3 gaming.
- Tony Zhao, previously of Tencent Games, has been appointed Head of Gaming Investments.
- The company also announced the expansion of Eden Games, its gaming division, through new hires and partnerships.
GameStop launched the public beta of their long-awaited NFT marketplace, seeing over 45,000 transactions made and 260+ collections listed in the first 48 hours.
- The marketplace is non-custodial and makes use of Loopring Layer 2 to reduce transaction times and fees. GameStop is charging a 2.25% total commission on sales.
- Some have emphasised its high uptake in comparison to Coinbase's NFT platform, while others have pointed out that GameStop's earnings on day 1 were a mere $45,000.
- NFTs for Authors: The Ultimate Guide: In this article, Alicia Joy talks us through how and where to create a book NFT and the potential benefits for authors, along with considerations such as cost and ownership;
- NFTL;DR | Non-Fungibles In A Nutshell: In this handy guide from NFT Now, key topics related to NFTs are broken down in short explainers, from PFP projects to phishing scams.
New podcasts and shows
- Podcast 1: In this episode of Overpriced JPEGs, Carly Reilly chats to Zeneca 33 about the macro NFT landscape, celebrity projects and the latest blue chip activity;
- Podcast 2: In this episode of The Delphi Podcast, Tommy Shaughnessy & Nick Steenstra host Kevin Smith & Guy Zyskind to talk about Killroy Was Here, the first NFT film released on Secret Network.
Save the date
- 29 - 31 July 2022: NFT Expoverse takes place in Los Angeles
- 17 - 18 September 2022: NFT Show Europe takes place in Valencia, Spain
NFT space in numbers
The values below are from 16th - 22nd July. Source: DappRadar.
|Bored Ape Yacht Club #6388||Bored Ape Yacht Club||$1.08M
|Bored Ape Yacht Club||$11.37M
|Otherdeed for Otherside||$6.04M
|Mutant Ape Yacht Club||$5.52M
|Ethereum Name Service (ENS)||$3.35M
|Bored Ape Chemistry Club||$2.18M
*Most of the sales in the collection occurred on the LooksRare marketplace and may be the subject of wash trading.