Most innovative (author's pick)
Holograph announced its Omnichain NFT protocol powered by LayerZero, an integration that will enable unprecedented levels of cross-chain NFT interoperability.
- According to Holograph, cross-chain messaging will enable NFTs to be sent across chains with all data left intact.
- Previously, NFTs would be copied and wrapped in a smart contract, linking back to the original locked item. In the process of each bridging event, the smart contract address and token ID would also be rewritten.
Keanu Reeves, previously an NFT sceptic, has joined the Futureverse Foundation as an advisor. The Foundation is the charitable arm of NFT ecosystem FLUF. It aims to onboard artists from traditional, physical mediums in to the NFT space, offering them funding to do so and focusing on diverse and underrepresented artists.
- The Futureverse Foundation will select grant winners through a nomination process and continue the work of FLUF World, which has so far raised over $2M for a variety of charitable causes.
- Reeves' partner, Alexandra Grant, is also an advisor to the Foundation and in their official press release she declared she was looking forward to “dreaming up a new model for arts philanthropy.”
OpenSea's email database was breached and they have warned NFT owners to be wary of potential scams. It seems the database was passed to an unnamed “unauthorised external party” by an employee at Customer.io, a firm used by OpenSea to send automated emails.
- OpenSea is the largest NFT marketplace with over 600,000 users.
- The platform warned users to be particularly careful with emails claiming to be from the marketplace. The only official email domain is "opensea.io".
Accounting firm KPMG is investing $30M in Web3 this year and creating a new 'metaverse hub' which will provide education, collaboration, training, events, and workshops for employees and clients.
- The company has stated that their long-term objective is to examine other potential metaverse use cases such as health care, consumer, retail, media and financial services.
- “Today, if you look at all of the revenue that the metaverse generates (which could reach $800 billion by 2024), most of that is in the gaming aspect,” Cliff Justice, KPMG U.S. leader of Enterprise Innovation, told Fortune in an interview this week. “All the collaboration that has been developing, maturing and refined in the gaming space is extending into more serious business to business and business to consumer commerce.”
Kevin Hart's new show 'Confessions from the Hart', which premieres on Roku on July 6th, will be accompanied by an NFT release that enables holders to access bonus content.
- Hart has a number of other Web3 initiatives already live, including a token, HART, that fans can earn by engaging in social content. Some of the perks include redeeming free NFTs and Hart Passes.
New products and ideas
HTC launches its first 'metaverse phone'. The HTC Desire 22 Pro comes preloaded with apps to help you manage content and assets related to NFTs, crypto and the Metaverse.
- The phone comes with a built-in wallet for Ethereum and Polygon-based assets.
- It is also designed to connect to HTC's Vive Flow VR headset, allowing users to wirelessly mirror content and manage their VR hardware via an app.
30 Chinese tech companies including Tencent Holdings signed a new pact to halt the secondary trading of digital collectibles and agree to "self-regulate" their activities in the market.
- Titled the "Digital Collectible Industry Self-Discipline Development Initiative", it was led by the the Chinese Cultural Industry Association.
- The pact was signed on Thursday and contains 14 articles. In addition to a ban on secondary trading, the signatories will enforce real-name authentication when selling digital collectibles to users.
Blockchain analytics company Flipside Crypto has integrated NFTs into their new Software Development Kit (SDK) to allow developers to query blockchain data.
- In an interview with Cointelegraph, CEO Dave Balter said “Wrapping SDK access in an NFT gives a user control over their license. Software licenses are often a sunk cost, meaning if you don’t utilize the purchased license it goes to waste. That’s not great for the end-user, and it’s not great for the provider of the product.”
- After minting, access to the SDK will be free. New NFTs will be available to mint every day.
- Let's Talk Curation #2: In this article, we read about GÖKHAN's journey as an artist and curator, including nearly a dozen exhibitions on the JPG platform;
- NFT 2.0: How Soulbound Tokens Could Change Your Life: In this new guide from NFT Now, Jex Exmundo breaks down Vitalik Buterin's latest Web3 project.
New podcasts and shows
- Podcast 1: In this episode of Overpriced JPEGs, Carly Reilly talks to Gabe Frank, CEO of Arcade, a liquidity protocol for NFT collateral, about the current state and future potential of the NFT lending market;
- Podcast 2: In this episode of Zima Red, Charles and Zunk, the co-founders of Web3 game Nifty Island discuss the roles of curation, remixing NFTs and user-generated content in gaming.
Save the date
- 29 - 31 July 2022: NFT Expoverse takes place in Los Angeles
- 17 - 18 September 2022: NFT Show Europe takes place in Valencia, Spain
NFT space in numbers
The values below are from 2nd July - 8th July. Source: DappRadar.
|NBA Top Shot||FLOW||$3.21M
|Otherdeed for Otherside||$11.4M
|Bored Ape Yacht Club||$10.96M
|Mutant Ape Yacht Club||$5.33M
|Ethereum Name Service||$4.21M
*Most of the sales in the collection occurred on the LooksRare marketplace and may be the subject of wash trading.