Most innovative (author's pick)
WISeKey generated the first NFT from space during the WISeKey Davos event. The NFT was captured by the WISeSat satellite and connected via an encrypted line to a Davos blockchain server and minted on the WISe.ART NFT Marketplace. This technology aims to enable the direct connection of satellites to IoT devices for NFT authentication.
- The space-based NFT ecosystem assures personal and secure authentication capabilities through the global WISeSat constellation.
- The solution can be used in multiple industrial applications, such as predictive maintenance across industries, providing critical communication between devices including autonomous vehicles, and much more.
PoolTogether launched an NFT collection to cover legal expenses in a class action lawsuit against the company. The collection has three tiers priced from 0.1 to 75 ETH.
- The lawsuit contends that PoolTogether Inc. is running an illegal lottery in the state of New York. PoolTogether has countered that its corporate entity merely runs the interface which provides access to the PoolTogether protocol, which runs on Ethereum.
OpenSea's former Head of Product was arrested by the FBI. Nate Chastain left OpenSea after it was discovered that he purchased NFTs before they were featured on the marketplace's homepage and subsequently sold them as the increased exposure led to higher prices. The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York has stated that Chastain was arrested on June 1 in New York City.
- The FBI will charge Chastain with wire fraud and money laundering, each of which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Former Beatle Ringo Starr launched an NFT collection for his next tour. The collection, titled “Ringo Starr NFT Collection – The Creative Mind of a Beatle,” is comprised of digital artworks accompanied by signed canvas prints created by Starr.
- “This new technology is so far out it’s inspired me and I loved creating these NFTs combining my art and my music. Who’d have thought I would be spreading Peace and Love in the MetaVerse” according to Starr.
Niantic, the company behind Pokémon Go, is interested in using NFTs in AR experiences. The company unveiled Peridot, an augmented reality pet simulator. According to Niantic’s senior producer Ziah Fogel, the company is interested in integrating NFTs after the game is launched.
- “Just think about what could happen with AR, mapping, and NFTs. There is so much potential to push not only the NFT community forward but the gaming community and many other communities into the brand new world of Web3,” said Chikai Ohazama, the company’s new Director of Web3.
New products and ideas
Pharrell Williams launches a new NFT platform called Gallery of Digital Assets or GODA. The platform will enable contemporary artists to leverage NFTs in a way that "feels organic and true to their creative voices."
- The first drop of the platform is scheduled for early this summer, and will include a mint pass, which will guarantee access to future drops on the platform;
- “We created GODA to enable the best contemporary artists to harness this new opportunity but do so on a platform that respects the world-class nature of their work, reputation, and accomplishments. We’re focused on creating an equitable entity in this creator-centric landscape, so everyone can feel good about GODA,” explains founding member Pharrell Williams.
Prada announced its Timecapsule NFT collection. The luxury brand launched 100 Ethereum NFTs to be airdropped for free to customers who purchased the physical Timecapsule from Prada’s latest collaboration with Cassius Hirst.
- Prada’s Timecapsule drops started back in 2019 as a way to launch limited edition items. According to the brand, buyers of previous Timecapsules will also receive the NFT at a later date;
- Timecapsule is not the first NFT from the company. Back in January 2022, Prada partnered with Adidas to release the "Adidas for Prada re-source" collection on the Polygon blockchain.
- Web3 IRL: How Digital Art at Physical Gatherings Is Building Community: This article by Reza Jafery explores how real-life events, such as the Coachella music festival, are building communities with Web3 and NFTs;
- One vs. Two Token Models in Crypto Gaming: This article by Nat Eliason compares crypto game models with one or two tokens.
New podcasts and shows
- Overpriced JPEGs: In this episode, Carly talks to Jake Brukhman, Founder and CEO of CoinFund, about the next big market trends, and what metrics NFT investors should be looking at;
- Zima Red: In this episode, Mack Flavelle, the co-Founder of CryptoKitties, talks about the creation of the ERC721 standard, the creation of Dapper Labs, and much more.
Save the date
- 20th - 23rd June: NFT NYC is the leading annual NFT event, don't miss it!
NFT space in numbers
The values below are from 28th May - 3rd June. Source: DappRadar.
|NBA Top Shot||FLOW||$3.21M
|Otherdeed for Otherside #90209||Otherdeed for Otherside||$462.13k
|Bored Ape Yacht Club #6775||Bored Ape Yacht Club||$444.98k
|Bored Ape Yacht Club #2664||Bored Ape Yacht Club||$392.98k
|Otherdeed for Otherside #5702||Otherdeed for Otherside||$385.67k
|Bored Ape Yacht Club||$17.75M
|Otherdeed for Otherside||$10.87M
|Mutant Ape Yacht Club||$7.39M
*Most of the sales in the collection occurred on the LooksRare marketplace and may be the subject of wash trading.