Most innovative (author's pick)
NFT Innovation Digest launches "NFT Artist of the Week". In this brand-new format, we feature innovative NFT artists. For free. Because art is awesome ❤️. Every week, we select a new artist, showcase the art in our NFT Innovation Digest and a offer custom-designed, limited edition "Art POAP" drops to all our subscribers. Each claimed POAP will get the chance to win a free NFT giveaway by the artist of the week. You can discover the first Artist of the Week further down in this newsletter.
OpenSea announced the acquisition of Dharma Labs, an Ethereum wallet company. Nadav Hollander, Dharma Labs co-founder and CEO will join OpenSea as CTO.
- Dharma Labs is the company behind the Dharma Ethereum wallet, that enables users to borrow and lend digital assets;
- According to OpenSea's CEO, the acquisition will help the NFT marketplace grow in 2022 and improve the technical reliability of its products;
- The acquisition values have not been disclosed yet, but Axios reported that the purchase could be between $110M and $130M.
Coinbase partnered with Mastercard to simplify the NFT purchase experience. With the partnership, Coinbase NFT marketplace will enable card payments
- According to Coinbase, the companies are working together to classify NFTs as "digital goods", allowing a broader group of consumers to buy NFTs;
- Mastercard also confirmed that it is working on a set of “cybersecurity capabilities” to ensure user protection when buying digital assets.
Microsoft announced the acquisition of gaming giant Activision Blizzard for $69B. Microsoft outlined that the acquisition will support the growth of its services across platforms and it will "provide building blocks for the Metaverse".
- Following the acquisition announcement, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella stated that gaming “will play a key role in the development of metaverse platforms”.
Walmart is preparing to enter into the Metaverse by offering its users cryptocurrency along with NFTs, according to trademark filings. The retailer trademark filings also indicate its intent to make and sell virtual goods, including electronics, home decoration, and personal care products.
- In a statement, Walmart said it is “continuously exploring how emerging technologies may shape future shopping experiences”.
Mercedes partnered with Art2People to celebrate the G-Class series in different artists' styles. The company will release a collection based on its G-class vehicle line created by five international artists from the NFT space.
- The NFTs will drop on Jan. 23 at 6 pm EST on Nifty Gateway and will include pieces in various price categories, from $222 to $1,554;
- When the NFT drop hits $1M collective sales, there will be a physical G-Class raffle available for all NFT holders. Another raffle will happen when the drop hits $2M, and the NFTs can be purchased with cryptocurrency or using a credit card.
New products and ideas
British artist Damien Hirst launched a dedicated price index by Chainlink for his first NFT project. Hirst released "The Currency" last year, a collection of 10,000 images with slight variations. The new price index will offer another metric for evaluating the project based on Chainlink's oracles.
- The price index feeds recent market data into an algorithm and outputs a "robust" price estimate for most of the non-rare NFTs in the collection;
- Each work in "The Currency" is a digital representation of a physical painting, but only the NFTs are for sale. At the end of July 2022, the NFT holders will have to decide between owning their NFT or the corresponding physical painting. By choosing the NFT, the painting is destroyed, choosing the painting makes the NFT be burned.
NFT sci-fi card game Parallel launched a charity auction, dedicating 100% of the proceeds to the online learning platform Khan Academy. Parallel the single edition NFT titled "Inspiring Teacher" is open for auction between Jan. 19 to Jan. 21 on OpenSea.
NFT Artist of the Week - The Art of Cryptowaves
This week's Artist of the Week is 288kArtScientist. His work is at the intersection of Data Science, Visual Arts, Trading & Crypto, and in his project The Art of Cryptowaves, he shapes cryptocurrency signals into art and emotions.
Why is the Project innovative?
- First-ever representation of BTC and ETH as an NFT collection, as well as their representation into visual art;
- Work at the intersection of Crypto, Trading, Art & Collectibles which is an empty space at the moment;
- Attractive and compelling design that is in emotional connection with traders, owners, and collectors.
To claim your exclusive subscriber Cryptowaves POAP, subscribe to the NFT Innovation Digest for free, and you will receive an email with your personal claim link. Each claimed POAP will get the chance to win a free NFT giveaway by the artist of the week.
- How to deploy a contract and mint on Manifold: This Twitter thread by BCheque explains the key steps to deploy and mint NFTs with Manifold;
- NFTs: on true ownership of identity: This article by NFT Insight explores the concept of digital identity its role in a decentralized world and the principles of self-sovereign identity.
New podcasts and shows
- Zima Red Podcast: In this episode, Andrew talks to Will Weinraub, founder of On-Chain studios, which is creating Cryptoys, an NFT toy platform. The podcast explores the creation of Cryptoys starting as a personal side project, the challenges founders face, and much more.
- Overpriced JPEGs Podcast: In this episode, Carly interviews Jon Rogers, founding executive of Disney's Franchise Management division in 2005. Jon was responsible for building famous franchises such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Cars.
- The Delphi Podcast: In this episode, Ryan "Fwiz" Wyatt, Head of Gaming at Youtube, talks about the role of Big Tech in the Web3 movement and how the transition to blockchain games will take place in the gaming industry.
Save the date
- 17th - 20th February: ETH Denver is the largest and longest-running ETH event in the world, with several panels, workshops and hackathons, it's a no-brainer.
NFT space in numbers
The values below are from 21st - 27th January 2022. Source: DappRadar.
|Axie Infinity||ETH, RONIN||$29.01M
|Bag #2579||Loot (for Adventurers)||$47.04M
|Bag #3834||Loot (for Adventurers)||$45.84M
|Bag #396||Loot (for Adventurers)||$45.7M
|Bag #396||Loot (for Adventurers)||$45.61M
*The saleS occurred on the LooksRare marketplace and may be a subject of wash trading.
|HAPE Prime [NEW]||$62.38M
|Bored Ape Yacht Club||$45.42M
|CryptoBatz by Ozzy Osbourne||$37.83M
|Mutant Ape Yacht Club||$33.2M
*Most of the sales in the collection occurred on the LooksRare marketplace and may be a subject of wash trading.